Login  |  Register  |  Search

Park History

The Native American tribe called the Lenni Lenape were the first inhabitants in the area now called Nockamixon State Park. Scotch-Irish and German settlers arrived between 1730-1740 and the township of Nockamixon was organized in 1742. During the nineteenth century, timber was a major local industry until the resource was exhausted.

The land acquisition and construction of the park began in 1961. In 1965 the construction of Lake Nockamixon began. A total of 290 properties in Bedminster, East Rockhill, Nockamixon, Haycock, and Tinicum Townships were condemned to build the park. The construction of the dam began in October 1968. The dam was completed in June 1973 and the lake began filling at that time. It took about six months for the lake to fill completely. The relocation of Route 563 began in September of 1970 and was completed in 1972. Park electrical, water, and sewer system development took place between 1973 and 1975.


The small town of Tohickon, formerly called Stovertown, was located along the creek just upstream of the present dam. Much of the rest of the lake site was farmland, including farmhouses and barns. All of the buildings in the area now covered by the lake were demolished before the lake was filled. Many roads crossed the area now under the lake waters and each road had a bridge where it crossed the Tohickon Creek. All of the bridges except for the stone arch bridge at the village of Tohickon were also demolished so they would not cause underwater hazards. The stone arch bridge is still there under approximately 70 feet of water.


The park was originally named Tohickon State Park, after the principal stream flowing into Lake Nockamixon. It was renamed Nockamixon State Park by the State Geographic Board in 1965.


The lake opened for boating in May, 1974 and the marina was opened to the public in April, 1977. Day use facilities opened in August, 1977.

powered by Doodlekit™ Free Website Creator